Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Life Is But A Vapor

This is Joey Balistreri who was killed in a horrendous car accident just a few blocks from us exactly one month ago. He was laid to rest last Friday since his dad was in the hospital with serious injuries. We do not know this family, but Kevin and I have been effected greatly by this accident. Part of it because we would have been right there when it happened. We were grocery shopping and it was past the kids' bedtime and I was trying to get Kevin to hurry up so we could get home. Curtis and Lauren kept having to go to the bathroom and then Claire dropped her Care Bear and I had to search half the store looking for it. I wasn't very happy at the time, but now I can see that God kept us from being involved in that accident. When we came upon the accident about 15-20 minutes after it happened, I just knew that there were fatalities (as it turned out, the only fatality was Joey). I started crying and praying and have been for this family ever since. The mom Pam has been keeping an amazing online journal at www.caringbridge.org/visit/geoffbalistreri I really encourage you to read it and see how God's grace, mercy, and love is shining through in this tragedy. Last Thursday, when we put the kids to bed, we all prayed for the family and then sang worship/Bible songs. I always have the kids pick the songs that we sing and the first song that they wanted to sing was Jesus Loves Me, so I told them that we should sing it for Joey. The second song they picked was Jesus Loves The Little Children which Curtis said we were singing for Joey's family. We sang a couple more songs then I asked Curtis to pick out the last song and he chose He Has Made Me Glad. So I start singing and Curtis says, "Mom we need to sing this loud for Joey, he's with Jesus." I lost it and couldn't stop crying. My son is so sweet and I am so thankful to have been blessed with him. Just remember that life is a vapor, here one minute and gone the next, so make the most of each day.

1 comment:

~Maggie~ said...

Thank you for a reminder. It seems like it's been a year for this kind of lesson. Give our love to Kevin and the kids. We're so grateful that the Lord was arranging your steps that day.